The Power of Love vs. The Power of the Principle
Lesson Objective: Understand why God created the power of love to be stronger than the power of the Principle and how the misuse of love has distorted relationships in our current society.
Divine Principle Reading:
Human beings are created through the Principle, and they are meant to live according to the way of the Principle. Therefore, it cannot be that the force inherent in the Principle would induce a person to deviate from the way of the Principle and cause him to fall. This may be compared to a train which cannot run off the track unless, aside from a breakdown in the track or locomotive, some outside force stronger than the train’s forward momentum collides with it and pushes it in a different direction. Similarly, for human beings the force inherent in the Principle guides their growth in the proper direction. But if some stronger force from a different direction and with an unprincipled purpose collides with them, they will surely fall. The force which is stronger than the force of the Principle is none other than the power of love. While human beings are in the state of immaturity, it is possible that the power of unprincipled love can induce them to fall.
Why is the power of love stronger than the power of the Principle? Why did God create it stronger, when this leaves open the possibility that the power of deviant love might collide with a person in the state of immaturity and cause him to fall?
According to the Principle of Creation, God’s love is the subject of all loves flowing within the four position foundation, which is established when its members have completed the three object purpose through their dynamic love for each other. Without God’s love, there is no way to establish the true four position foundation; without God’s love, there is no way for us to fulfill the purpose for which we were created. Love is truly the source and wellspring of our life and happiness.
Although God created human beings based on the Principle, He governs us through love. Accordingly, in order for love to fulfill its proper role, its power must be stronger than the power of the Principle. If the power of love were weaker than the power of the Principle, God could not govern human beings through love; rather, we would pursue the Principle more than the love of God. For this reason, Jesus tried to raise his disciples with the truth, but it was his love that saved them.
Activity: Why is Love > Principle
- Human beings are created through God’s Principles of Creation. This means it can’t be possible that God’s Principles could make human beings go against their purpose of creation (such as The Fall).
- However, in God’s design for creation love is central to our personal purpose of creation (to be in a loving relationship with God and return joy to Him) and all of the Principles of Creation exist to serve the purpose of Godly love. This is because God’s love is what motivated and powered all of creation. We are unable to fulfill our purpose of creation without God’s love.
- If the Principle were stronger than love, we would seek the Principle more than we seek the love of God and this is not God’s intention for creation.
- Because of this it is possible that love could overpower our understanding of the Principle and cause us to go against our purpose of creation while we are still growing towards maturity. God was aware of this possibility but because God is the God of heart and hope, His desire for human beings to succeed and not fall is incomparably stronger than His fear that they might fall.
- Relationships: Principle > Love
- Give everyone a copy of the “DP Quotes Cheat Sheet”
- Have them mingle in small groups and answer the following questions using quotes from the cheat sheet:
- What is the purpose of life?
- How can you better your relationship with God?
- What does God appreciate most about you?
- Relationships: Love > Principle
- Repeat the above process from #2, except instead of reading answers from the paper, let people answer the questions honestly and sincerely for themselves.
- In the first round of discussion and mingling we demonstrated what it might be like if we focus on conveying the truth without necessarily understanding the heart behind it. The Principle is important, but its full value doesn’t arise when we interact with it as just the Law, its value is manifested when it serves the purpose of love- in other words when it connects us with God’s heart.
- In the second round of discussion and mingling, we demonstrated the real energy of the Principle is engaged when it is conveyed through Heart; to the degree that we have discovered the Principle through our own experience. This allows for unique give and take action with our friends, family and God.
- Have everyone get into pairs and share about the following points:
- Think about a disagreement you’ve had with someone in the last week or so. It can be anything from whether or not you liked a movie to your political opinions.
- Share what the other person’s viewpoint was in your disagreement.
- Now, respond to that disagreement using logic only.
- This time respond to that disagreement with heart and love only. This doesn’t mean denying the truth you feel, but adjusting the vibration and heart with which you convey it to the other person.
- Which one would promote more harmony?
- Both logic and love are valuable and important in our lives.
- However, logic is lacking without love. It is missing an important link that connects humanity together.
- This is why God made love stronger than principle.
Closing Point: God created the universe so that we would pursue His/Her love even more than we would pursue truth. He did this because He desired a loving dynamic relationship with His children. God is a very logical God, but His/Her heart is the foundation of the entire universe, not His/Her brain.
Activity: Love in Our Current Society
- In our society many people engage in love relationships without the foundation that comes from accomplishing the 1st They feel the power of love, which is stronger than the power of the Principle, and begin love relationships without becoming mature individuals first. We see hurt feelings and failed relationships in society because of this reality.
- Often these relationships start off secretly and there is a general lack of communication with the parental figures, similar to the communication break down between Adam and Eve with God.
- Show these video clips of epic arguments from some Disney movies. These clips are examples of romantic relationships which don’t have individual maturity as a foundation.
- Beauty & the Beast
- The Beast wants Belle to join him for dinner, but Belle refuses.
- Jasmine is frustrated by her possible suitors, “I’m not a prize to be won.”
- The Lion King
- Simba and Nala argue about why Simba won’t return to Pride Rock.
- Assign each clip to a small group and have them re-write the scenario/argument with two people who have completed the first blessing and are mature.
- What would be different?
- How would they deal with difficulties and challenges?
- Have them act out their new scenario’s in front of the group.
- Beauty & the Beast
Closing Point: Even though those video clips are silly, the point is true. Because the power of love is stronger than the power of the principle, people often start romantic relationships without having achieved the 1st blessing and becoming a mature individual. The culture today is actively promoting immature, “me-centered”, pleasure seeking love. As a result, we see immature relationships in our society that leave people feeling hurt and scarred. This is why it’s so important to wait to have romantic relationships until we are ready to do so and to fill our lives with sources of Principled love.