Aim to explore the 4 flavours: salty, sweet, sour and bitter
* To explore the 4 flavours: salty, sweet, sour and bitter
* To learn that God gave us the sense of taste to give us joy
* Pictures of the five senses
* Taste, by Maria Ruis
* Solutions of salt, sugar, lemon, and baking soda, plus cotton buds
* A variety of things to taste that are salty, sweet, sour and bitter. e.g. lemon, chocolate, apple, banana peel, salty crisps, peppermint, etc..
* word cards – sweet, sour, salty, bitter
* A picture of a boy eating with space to stick pictures
* glue & scissors
2. Book & Discussion
3. Activities – tasting food, identifying food, cut & paste pictures
4. Review aims
Review the five senses and talk about the mouth. Use a mirror. Notice the different parts: lips, teeth, tongue. Today we are going to learn about the tongue and the sense of taste.
2) Book & Discussion
What is your favourite food? What food don’t you like. What would it be like if we couldn’t taste?
- This tastes good to me!
- But this tastes terrible!
- Pastries taste good to me.
- So does chocolate.
- Oranges are delicious.
- And milk is yummy!
- Honey is very sweet
- but lemons are very sour
- Sea water is salty.
by Maria Rius
Garlic and onions have a
But what does water taste
like? Like nothing at all.
And what does meat taste
like? Like meat of course.
The way you tell how
something tastes is
with your TONGUE.
* Ask children to dip one end of a cotton bud in the solutions of salt, sugar, lemon, and baking soda, one substance after another, and have them taste each. Can the children describe the flavors. Tell them are four different flavors we can taste with our tongue: SALTY, SWEET, SOUR, BITTER.
Which taste do they like most? Which do they like least. Put a label next to each solution with the four words.
* Children taste different foods and decide whether they are salty, sweet, sour or bitter. They put each food into the right group
* Blindfold the children. Give them food to taste. Can they identify them? Which do they like?
Which don’t they like?
* Children cut out small pictures and stick them on picture of a boy eating a meal
4) Review the aims of the lesson
To explore the sense of taste
To learn that God gave us the sense of taste to give us joy
Say a prayer to thank God for giving us the gift of taste